UPDATED JUNE 22, 2020
As the reopening of theaters in the state of Massachusetts falls between Phases 3 and 4 of Governor Baker’s reopening plan, New Repertory Theatre has been forced to make the following decisions:
- NEW UPDATE! Postpone all performances of Angels in America: Millennium Approaches until Fall 2021
- NEW UPDATE! Postpone all performances of Lady Day at Emerson’s Bar & Grill until 2021
- NEW UPDATE! We are working to produce a 2-person production of Romeo & Juliet to tour in the spring of 2021. All performances of Thurgood on Tour, and Classic Repertory Company’s productions of The Scarlet Letter have been cancelled.
- NEW UPDATE! Cancel Gala 2020 (previously scheduled for May 5, then October 26, 2020)
As a reminder:
- All performances of August Wilson’s Fences (previously scheduled for April/May 2020) were cancelled this past spring.
- At this time, the Mosesian Center for the Arts is still closed to the public.
We have evaluated all possibilities for fall production, including social-distancing procedures and live streamed performances. As our artists would need to begin the design process this week, and it is still unsafe for them to collaborate indoors in such a close proximity, we have arrived at the conclusion that we are unable to produce Angels in America: Millennium Approaches and Lady Day at Emerson’s Bar & Grill this fall.
To subscribers to the 2020/2021 season who currently have tickets to Angels in America: Millennium Approaches, no action is needed on your part. Your tickets will automatically be transferred to the Fall 2021 performance as soon as the production’s new run dates are confirmed.
Please call our box office at (617) 923-8487 or email email@example.com with any questions. We are responding as quickly as possible and greatly appreciate your patience.
We currently plan to open our 2020/2021 season with The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee this November. Previews begin November 29, 2020.
Angels in America: Millennium Approaches
by Tony Kushner
The turning point in the history of gay and American drama, Angels in America: Millennium Approaches is set in New York during the AIDS crisis of the 1980s. The story follows Prior and Louis, whose relationship is tested when one is diagnosed with the disease; Joe, a Mormon who struggles with his sexual identity; and Roy Cohn, the inimitable Jewish lawyer’s involvement in the McCarthy Trials. This Tony Award-winning masterpiece beautifully addresses questions of identity, trust, justice, and judgement.