New Repertory Theatre takes your health and well-being seriously! Please see below for important information regarding our performances and events impacted by COVID-19. If you have any questions, please contact our Patron Services Team at 617-923-8487 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
UPDATED JUNE 22, 2020
As the reopening of theaters in the state of Massachusetts falls between Phases 3 and 4 of Governor Baker’s reopening plan, New Repertory Theatre has been forced to make the following decisions:
- NEW UPDATE! Postpone all performances of Angels in America: Millennium Approaches until Fall 2021
- NEW UPDATE! Postpone all performances of Lady Day at Emerson’s Bar & Grill until 2021
- NEW UPDATE! We are working to produce a 2-person production of Romeo & Juliet to tour in the spring of 2021. All performances of Thurgood on Tour, and Classic Repertory Company’s productions of The Scarlet Letter have been cancelled.
- NEW UPDATE! Cancel Gala 2020 (previously scheduled for May 5, then October 26, 2020)
As a reminder:
- All performances of August Wilson’s Fences (previously scheduled for April/May 2020) were cancelled this past spring.
- At this time, the Mosesian Center for the Arts is still closed to the public.
We have evaluated all possibilities for fall production, including social-distancing procedures and live streamed performances. As our artists would need to begin the design process this week, and it is still unsafe for them to collaborate indoors in such a close proximity, we have arrived at the conclusion that we are unable to produce Angels in America: Millennium Approaches and Lady Day at Emerson’s Bar & Grill this fall.
We currently plan to open our 2020/2021 MainStage season with The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee this November. Previews begin November 29, 2020.
“We are so disappointed to have to again make the decision to postpone New Rep productions,” says Michael J. Bobbitt, Artistic Director of New Repertory Theatre. “We miss our patrons, artists, and staff, and had truly hoped we would have returned to a relative normal by this time. These additional postponements expand our projected financial losses to $505,000 or 30% of our annual operating budget. We will need our community’s help now more than ever to make it through this.”
We recognize that these decisions may cause significant inconvenience to our most loyal supporters and patrons, but please know your well-being and the well-being of our artists and employees will continue to be our top priority. We are so appreciative of your continued understanding and support while New Repertory Theatre navigates these unprecedented times.
To current ticket-holders to Lady Day at Emerson’s Bar and Grill, no action is needed on your part. We will be in touch with you regarding rescheduled performances once the new dates are confirmed.
To patrons who previously held tickets to August Wilson’s Fences, no action is needed on your part. A credit has been placed on your account in the amount of your ticket purchase. This credit may be used towards any performance through June 2022.
To subscribers to the 2020/2021 season who currently have tickets to Angels in America: Millennium Approaches, no action is needed on your part. Your tickets will automatically be transferred to the Fall 2021 performance as soon as the production’s new run dates are confirmed.
Please call our box office at (617) 923-8487 or email email@example.com with any questions. We are responding as quickly as possible and greatly appreciate your patience.
We Need Your Help!
Like most nonprofit arts organizations, New Repertory Theatre is dependent upon ticket sales and contributions from generous donors to fund our operations. The cancellation and postponement of our scheduled productions and gala from the 19/20 and 20/21 seasons will cause great financial harm to our organization, as well as our artists who are dependent upon freelance work for their income.
We ask that you please continue to be a patron of the arts, and consider supporting New Repertory Theatre at this difficult time in the following ways:
- Making a financial contribution in any amount to New Repertory Theatre’s COVID – 19 Relief Fund
- Purchasing a 3- or 4-play subscription to our 2020-2021 season
- Purchase a gift certificate – available at any time and in any amount, a gift certificate is valid for 7 years from the date of purchase. This means that you can support New Rep now, in our time of need, and guarantee yourself and your loved ones a night at the theater whenever you are ready to return.
- Exchanging your current tickets to August Wilson’s Fences to a production anytime between now and June 2022
- Donate your current tickets back to New Rep and receive a tax write-off letter.
This is a difficult time for our organization and artists, and we thank you for anything you are able to do to support us through this pandemic!
Our administrative staff is still open for business, so please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.